Suckley church is in a group of churches called the Worcester West Rural Team and there is a service of worship here about four times a month. There is a strong feeling that this, the village’s largest building, needs to be useful to the whole community during the week as well as being our church on Sundays.
The church is usually open daily (with the school using it regularly too), so for the current information please look at the Suckley Church page on AChurchNearYou for up to date information on church opening and church activities.
OPENING UP THE SPACE
... FOR REFRESHMENTS
... FOR ENTERTAINMENT
The whole church and churchyard was buzzing with life when hosting the first BFG (Beer Food and Gifts) Fest of local produce. This brought the whole community, young and old, together in a way that was very much appreciated – a celebration of Suckley Produce and Talent – so the repeated request ‘same again please’ brings it back every September from now on! Last Christmas brought more than 500 people through the door – all the school Christmas festivities including the lighting of the Tree of Light as well as the usual Christmas services.
Before the pandemic, the new space provided a small informal social area with tea and coffee, and was used for visitors, including school parents and those attending family graves, as a welcoming place for folk to come and meet up. Funds from trusts and other charitable bodies are being sought to install running water, toilet and kitchenette facilities so that we will be ready with modern facilities to welcome back our community, visitors and parishioners alike.
2019's BFG (Beer Food and Gifts) Festival of local produce and talents was on Saturday September 21st, and with the fantastic weather, over 800 attended to sample local brews (both alcoholic and cups of tea!), eat freshly prepared foods and nibbles, buy gifts (with Christmas in mind) and listen to musicians of all genres.
Ivor Bramich, a Suckley bellringer, repainted and re-guilded the clock face in 2009.
HISTORY OF THE CHURCH
A church has stood on this site since Norman times and was mentioned in the Domesday Book. The present Victorian church (which is Grade 2 Listed and replaced the earlier fire-damaged one) was built in 1878 of Cradley stone with Bath stone dressings but retains some interesting original features such as the tub font dating from around 1150-1200 with a 17C domed cover, the 14C piscina (a recess in the north wall of the chancel), the Jacobean pulpit dated around 1510 and the churchwardens' chest dated around 1420. The old wall memorial tablets are situated in the base of the bell tower. Outside are the remains of a medieval preaching cross (a Listed Monument), the base of which is scarred where arrows were sharpened on the stone.
The church consists of a chancel with vestry and organ chamber, a nave of 3 bays, north transept, and south aisle with porch. The western tower has open battlements and 5 crocketed pinnacles, altogether 102 feet high and containing 6 bells which were cast by the Rudhall foundry in 1711. The East window shows some of the best stained glass of the day by Charles Kempe. The Chancel was modernised by W J Hopkins, much of whose work can be seen in Worcester. The clock on the tower was installed in 1911 in memory of the local benefactor EH Hill, (who gave the village hall to the Parish). The clock face was repainted and re-gilded in 2009 by Suckley bellringer, Ivor Bramich.
For more details with photos go to:
THE SCHOOL IN THE CHURCH
A school used to be present within the church in the south west corner. In 1848 John Noake, in his 1868 'Guide to Worcestershire', wrote: “The school house which many years ago was built against the western end of the south wall of the church was full of children of both sexes, and the worthy rector was sitting in the midst of them, hearing explaining and examining them on the scriptures.” The present school was built at the same time as the church and became an academy in 2011.
Fund raising events
See the Events & Fundraising page for more details
Donate to SPACE
Visit our LocalGiving page to make a donation. Or use the QR code.
Like to get involved?
Complete the form on our Contacts page.
SPACE - Suckley Parish Academy and Community Enterprises. Charity No 1169609 © 2021